I’ve been relatively quiet lately… here’s what I’ve been up to:
- Working! I tallied up the total number of vacation days I’ve used this year. The total was 4. That’s right, I’ve only had 4 days off of work this whole year. How sick is that? Well, I plan on remedying that over the next couple of months (more news to come). Other than that, work itself, has been going relatively well. Still lots of changes, but I feel relatively safe right now. By safe I mean, that I have been busy as hell working a lot of different projects.
- Commuting! Up until last week I had been commuting to Chicago by train and bicycle. It’s been great. I feel less burnt out when I’m done with work. I feel a little more motivated to actually go to work each week. And that’s why winter has me worried. The colder it gets, the less likely it is that I’ll be able to commute by bike. Which means that I’ll need to start driving again. Let’s just hope that gas prices stay low this winter (yeah right!).
- Volunteering! I have been volunteering time to two community organizations. The Bike Project is a bike collective in Champaign-Urbana. It gives people a chance to learn how to fix their own bikes and to build their own bikes from donated used bikes. They also do things like give away bike lights, build bikes for underprivileged kids and other organizations. I also volunteer a little time at WEFT, 90.1, a local community radio station. Champaign-Urbana is blessed with several community radio stations. My “job” at WEFT is to open the new Rock, Indie Rock and Pop music that comes into the station and get it ready for the on-air folks. It’s a simple job, but it does afford me the opportunity to listen to a lot of new music (some of it actually decent).
- Gaming! I still play D&D every week. I play in a game in Chicago and one in Champaign-Urbana. I also play some board games here and there with Liz and her school friends. I would love to play more board games, but oh well… you can’t have everything.
- Politics! I’ve been really sucked into the elections and the campaigns. I read a lot online and as I mentioned in a previous post I’ve done a little phone calling. Go Obama Go!
- Fostering! Up until last week, Liz and I were fostering a rescued Bernese Mountain Dog. Carly was adopted last week by a family in New Jersey. I had to drive her up to Chicago so she could fly to New Jersey to meet her new family. Carly was a real sweetheart, and I think both Liz and I will miss having her around. If you’re wondering about Kiko. He’s just fine. 🙂
And that should get you up to date on what’s been going on lately. Watch for another post about what’s coming up!